Friday, October 16, 2015

Myths About Becoming a Mentor

The thought of becoming a mentor is usually followed by a number of different myths. Because mentoring makes a huge difference in a young person's life, we teamed up with a few of the Littles to put an end to these myths. Here is what the Littles had to say:
faces-767355_1280.jpg
Myth: I have to spend a lot of money.


Fact: How much money you spend on your Little is completely up to you. The Littles just want a friend to talk to, play with, and learn from. It is important for the Littles to know they have someone who cares about them and is there to help them with day-to-day activities. Here are what the Littles say they like best about spending time with their mentors:
  • “I just need a friend or someone to talk to” -5th grade
  • “Helping with homework” -4th grade
  • “She always is nice to me and kind and I never had a big sister ever so she changed my life a lot.” -4th grade

swinging-534116_1280.jpg

Myth: I have to spend a lot of time and plan fun activities.


Fact: The Littles enjoy playing games, sports, doing homework, crafts, and most importantly just having a friend. Here are what some of the Littles said their favorite activities were with their mentors:
  • “When she plays Candyland with me.” -1st grade
  • “Play basketball and hang out” -5th grade
  • “Drawing pictures, playing games” -1st grade


Myth: Only the mentee benefits from a relationship.


Fact: Being a mentor creates a long-term trusted relationship that both the mentor and mentee can benefit from. As a mentor, the greatest benefit you will receive is seeing the positive difference you have made in your Little’s life. Here is how the Little’s say their mentor has made a difference:
  • “She's helped me believe in myself more and be more confident” -5th grade
  • “She has impacted my life because she helped me with my school homework so I get good grades” -5th grade
  • “I feel my big has changed my life a lot because now I never back down from a challenge” -8th grade


The first step to becoming a mentor is to get yourself excited for the opportunity. Hopefully, by clarifying these myths, you will be able to build up your excitement to follow through with the next part of the process - filling out the online application.

No comments:

Post a Comment