Wednesday, December 18, 2013

New Year – New Goals: Become a Big!

With New Year’s right around the corner, it’s time to think resolutions. Many people have New Year’s resolutions to get fit, eat healthier, save money, or get organized, but this year why not have a different resolution that not only benefits you, but also benefits the life of a child? This year, make it a resolution to become a Big at Big Brother Big Sisters of Central Minnesota! Here’s a glimpse into one Big’s story as to what it’s like:

Matt Hoffman & Jordan



“I began my career as a Big while attaining my doctorate of chiropractic from 2007-2010 in Bloomington, MN. Late nights and long days can have a cumulative effect on a being and I, of course, was not spared. Even still, the energy and youthful exuberance present in my initial match often stuck with me long after our allotted 90 minutes had eclipsed. I say now without hesitation or pause that I absolutely gained more from our relationship than Marcos ever did; perspective, stress relief, a fresh viewpoint and some great memories.

I have worked with children for the bulk of my adult life. Continuing to volunteer with BBBS is a perfect fit as my interests and passions oftentimes echo those of my newest little brother, Jordan. His personality and questioning nature coupled with his stark intelligence to create a go-getter of a 10.5 year old. He checks my facts and figures, surprises me with insights and equally seeks knowledge, fun and big fish. He just might have life figured out.

I could not have asked for a better Little. From kayaking, hiking and fishing to library visits, movies and mastering the art of commanding a backyard grill, our time together is as varied as it is enjoyable. Always up for something new, Jordan keeps me on my toes with activity suggestions and humorous commentary. We have grown close over the course of our initial year together and continue to bond over the activities we love. He brings such enthusiasm to all he does that I cannot help but feel inspired. I am excited to continue our journey together and see what type of waves he creates in this ocean of life. My guess: big ones. 

Joining BBBS is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I promote the organization often; people sometimes say, "Wow, that's so nice of you to do!" The truth is, Jordan is the one performing the nice gesture; I get to spend time with an extraordinary young person who teaches me something each time we meet. I can only hope that all of the matches out there have even a fraction of the fun we enjoy on a regular basis. 

I want to thank J for a great year, and we both know that there are many more to follow!”

To learn more about us, or to become a Big at Big Brother Big Sisters of Central Minnesota, visit our website: http://bbbscentralmn.org/pages/BecomingaBig/

No comments:

Post a Comment